EVERYDAY IS A GOOD DAY TO CELEBRATE GIRLS!!
Each year, the United Nations acknowledges the incredible power and promise of girls around the world and highlights some of the most pressing challenges girls face around the globe.
This year’s theme published by the United Nations is "Digital generation. Our generation.” The UN called on people to "work together to ensure that girls are connected, supported and empowered so that we are co-leading the journey of digital transformation."
If you missed our event this year check out the recording to hear how some organizations are working for gender equality in the digital age and how to get involved! The panelists for this event were Adwoa Aidoo from Global Girl Scouting at Girl Scouts of the USA, Kayce Freed Jenning from Girl Rising and Lynn O'Connell from Together Women Rise.
We invite you to consider this year’s theme and to think about how you might engage a young person in your life to explore this important topic with you.
Thank You for All That You Do!
Women of Peace Corps Legacy hosted this event Oct. 18th, 2021 to Celebrate International Day of the Girl Child which is celebrated annually on Oct. 11th
Together Women Rise
- Visit the Together Women Rise website
- Learn more about how you can get involved
- Check out their information sheet
Interested in more films?
In addition to the Girl Rising film, here is a wonderful curated list of films for all different age groups and younger audiences
- Watch the trailer for the film Girl Rising and check out the Girl Rising website to watch the whole film
- Find out how educating girls can help fight climate change and protect the future of our planet with the Future Rising initiative
- Learn more about Girl Rising
Share Your Experiences
If you are a Returned Peace Corps Volunteer and would like to share your experiences working with young women and youth in your community during your service, consider signing up to join the Speaker’s Match program offered through Peace Corps World Wise Schools!
Girl Scouts USA
- Check out some excellent resources and statistics about Girl Scouts
- A Lifetime of Courage, Confidence, and Character. The Girl Scout Alum Difference Report.
- A New Decade of Girls' Leadership. This report is the first in a two-part series examining how girls define, experience, and aspire towards leadership in their current and future lives
- Visit the Girl Scouts Website
- Volunteer information and FAQ
Interested to have a currently serving Peace Corps Volunteer connect with your school or community group to talk about their work supporting young women around the world? No problem! Sign up to participate in the Global Connections program!
Still want to read more?
Educate yourself and others in your community about International Day of the Girl with these helpful reading materials from the United Nations!
For Educators and Students: Explore a dynamic collection of lesson plans, stories and activities that focus on gender and the lives of young women around the world offered through the World Wise Schools Program!